Wingfield is our destination this month. We meet at the De La Pole Arms (Church Road, Wingfield IP21 5RA) on Saturday 23rd September at 12:30 for lunch.
We will then cross the road to visit St Andrew’s Church. Here we will see the beautiful alabaster tomb of Richard’s sister, Elizabeth Plantagenet and her husband John De La Pole, duke of Suffolk. There is parking at the pub and the church is literally opposite.
We will be visiting the beautiful medieval town of Clare on Saturday 29th July, meeting at 12.30pm for lunch in The Swan in the High Street. MAG member, Zigurds Kronberg will then lead us in a walk around the town, hopefully visiting the Priory and the parish church of St Peter and St Paul. Please note parking is available at Clare Castle Country Park, Malting Lane, Clare CO10 8NW.
As we said last year, late mediaeval prelates were often well-connected. Indeed, as this ODNB article shows, William Pykenham, Archdeacon of Suffolk, died some time in spring 1497, approximately sixty years after his father. His mother was Katherine Barrington, of the prominent Hatfield Broadoak family, which explains some of his appointments through her Bourchier and Stafford social connections, including that of Rector of Hadleigh in 1470. He served as an executor for his patron, Thomas Bourchier Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1486 and then for Cecily Duchess of York in 1495.
In his role as Archdeacon, Pykenham is associated with two great buildings, of which only these Gatehouses remain: one in Hadleigh and one in Ipswich. He also had dealings with two maternal cousins: Thomas and Thomasine Barrington, the latter being the wife of Sir John Hopton of Blythburgh.
Here too (top) is Barrington Hall, home of the family that…
View original post 21 more words
This was the Group’s surprise visit. To find the incongruous ruins of this Bury St. Edmunds building, stand on Fornham Road, facing the supermarket car park with the car dealership and the bottom of Station Hill behind you then walk a few paces to the left. It dates from about 1184 and was probably founded by Samson, the town’s abbot to accommodate twenty-four residents but frequently had financial problems.
In 1446/7, Humphrey Duke of Gloucester, who had been Lord Protector and Defender of the Realm to Henry VI by the same law under which Richard was to be invested, came here to await trial for treason. He died here “in suspicious circumstances” on 23 February, to be buried in St. Alban’s Abbey.
The Hospital was, predictably, dissolved in 1539 and the ruins consist of a large arch and some ground behind it, with several explanatory plaques.
Further reading: http://www.stedmundsburychronicle.co.uk/Rel-hospitals.htm
On the bottom left is the Buttermarket Centre, formerly the home of the Whitefriars or Carmelites. There were Greyfriars (Franciscans, whose name survives near Princes Street) and Blackfriars (Dominicans, based near St. Mary’s Quay).
The mid-“Tudor” Christchurch Mansion, on the bottom right, is on the site of the Holy Trinity Priory. Whether this was newly built or merely adapted, is presently uncertain. There was also a Priory of St. Peter and St. Paul, partially replaced by Wolsey’s Gate, above.